Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss: In 2009, Gabourey Sidibe skyrocketed to fame with her Academy Award-nominated portrayal of Precious in the hit film Precious. Her powerful performance showcased her brilliance as an actress, but it also thrust her into the spotlight and intense scrutiny regarding her weight. Over the years, Sidibe has been open about her struggles with confidence and loving herself. But more recently, she has stunned fans with a dramatic weight loss transformation that reflects her commitment to health and wellbeing.
- 1 Who is Gabourey Sidibe?
- 2 Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss Journey
- 3 Diet
- 4 Exercise
- 5 Lifestyle Factors
- 6 Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss Motivations
- 7 Sidibe’s Refreshingly Honest Perspective
- 8 Powerful Message of Self-Love
- 9 Career Highlights
- 10 Income and Net Worth
- 11 Personal Life
- 12 Family and Relationships
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Conclusion
Who is Gabourey Sidibe?
Gabourey Sidibe is an American actress and author who rose to prominence with her Academy Award-nominated portrayal of the title role in the 2009 film Precious. Born in Brooklyn and raised in Harlem, Sidibe got her start in entertainment by performing in community theater productions and singing in her mother’s musical group.
Though she did not originally set out to become an actress, Sidibe earned her breakthrough role in Precious shortly after completing her degree in Cultural Studies. Her raw, powerful performance as the troubled teenager Precious catapulted her into the spotlight and earned her critical acclaim.
Sidibe went on to appear in several other films and TV shows, most notably the hit series Empire from 2015-2020. She also released a memoir in 2017 titled This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare.
Throughout her career, Sidibe has used her platform to advocate for increased representation in Hollywood and to promote messages of body positivity and self-love.
She continues to push boundaries and redefine expectations placed on women of color in the entertainment industry. Sidibe’s talent, resilience, and willingness to be vulnerable in front of audiences have made her an inspiration to many.
|Full Name||Gabourey Sidibe|
|Birthday||May 6, 1983|
|Weight Loss Timeline||2017 – Present (and ongoing)|
|Weight Loss Strategies||Bariatric surgery in 2017|
Nutrient-dense, portion-controlled diet
Daily walking and cardio
Strength training 2-3x a week
|Total Weight Lost||Estimated 70-80 lbs|
|Motivations||Improve health, increase confidence|
|Perspective on Weight Loss||Does not equate weight loss with happiness; advocates for self-love at any size|
|Other Interests||Acting career, podcast host, public speaking|
|Relationship Status||Engaged as of 2020|
|Known For||Breakout role in Precious (2009); Empire, memoir This is Just My Face|
Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss Journey
Gabourey Sidibe has been breaking boundaries and challenging expectations from the moment she stepped into the spotlight. But one area where Sidibe has faced intense scrutiny is with her weight. After skyrocketing to fame with the film Precious in 2009, Sidibe’s figure became a frequent topic of discussion.
In the years since the talented actress has been open about her complex relationship with her body image and her efforts to lose weight. While Sidibe had tried various diets and exercise routines in the past, it wasn’t until undergoing bariatric surgery in 2017 that she began a dramatic weight loss transformation.
Though the surgery kickstarted her progress, Sidibe has been clear the procedure alone doesn’t make someone thin. She committed to lifestyle changes like nutritious eating and daily walking to continue losing weight in a healthy, sustainable way.
Throughout her journey, Sidibe has reinforced that weight loss does not equate to happiness, and true confidence stems from self-acceptance.
Though she is proud of her transformation, her core message remains focused on promoting body positivity and embracing who we are. Sidibe’s vulnerability in sharing her story serves as inspiration for others navigating self-love and wellness.
- Follows a high protein, low carb diet focused on nutritious whole foods
- Relies heavily on foods like chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and some fruits
- Limits sugar, refined carbs, processed foods, and high calorie beverages
- Sticks to smaller portion sizes even with healthy foods to reduce overall calorie intake
- Allowed occasional indulgences in moderation to avoid feeling deprived
- Walks frequently as her main form of activity, aiming for at least 30 mins per day
- Also incorporates some strength training routines 2-3 times a week
- Uses resistance bands, kettlebells, or free weights when strength training at home
- Has worked with personal trainers at times for accountability and proper technique
- Emphasizes consistency with exercise and not overdoing it to avoid burnout
- Increased her daily steps by parking farther away and taking stairs
- Prioritizes self-care through adequate sleep, stress management, and relaxation
- Works with therapists to improve her relationship with food and self-image
- Surrounds herself with supportive people who uplift her wellbeing
- Remains patient with herself and celebrates small victories along the way
Sidibe emphasizes making sustainable, lifestyle-focused changes rather than extreme dieting. Her balanced approach of nutritious eating, regular activity and nurturing self-love continues to support her health journey. She encourages others to find customized wellness plans that fit their needs and bring joy.
Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss Motivations
In 2017, Sidibe decided to undergo laproscopic bariatric surgery to help her lose weight. She had tried dieting and exercise alone but found it difficult to lose a substantial amount of weight that way. The surgery reduced the size of her stomach to limit food intake.
While the procedure helped Sidibe kickstart her weight loss, she has said the surgery alone does not make someone magically thin. It requires significant lifestyle changes to make the weight loss sustainable.
“I learned that it’s harder to lose weight through this than it is to just diet and exercise. I’ve been eating healthier and walking every day, and now I have to do even more,” she said.
After the surgery, Sidibe committed to improving her eating habits by reducing portion sizes and making healthier choices. She also started walking frequently as part of her new fitness routine.
Sidibe’s Refreshingly Honest Perspective
As Sidibe lost weight, she received considerable praise and compliments on her slimmer figure. But she has been refreshingly honest that losing weight did not instantly transform her life.
“It’s not a magic ticket to happiness and confidence. I’m still shy even though I’m more confident. I still get nervous in front of crowds,” she shared. “But I’ve learned that I just have to fake it until I make it.”
Though the weight loss has been positive, Sidibe cautions against glorifying weight loss too much or shaming people for their bodies. “Just because somebody gets skinny doesn’t mean they’re going to be happy,” she said. She reminds fans that true confidence comes from radical self-acceptance, not reaching an “ideal” body weight.
Powerful Message of Self-Love
While Sidibe is proud of her weight loss journey, she does not want her thinner body to become the sole focus when people discuss her accomplishments.
“My body is no longer the biggest story,” she declared. Her message is about embracing ourselves as we are. Losing weight is optional, but learning to love yourself is mandatory.
“You’re going to get joy out of your life, whether you lose weight or not. I hope to always focus my message on self-acceptance rather than being skinny,“ Sidibe says.
Sidibe rejects society’s tendency to glorify weight loss as the key to happiness and success. She wants to empower people to pursue health in a way that feels good to them individually, not based on rigid societal beauty standards.
- Got her big break in the 2009 film Precious, earning Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for Best Actress
- Has starred in several other films like Yelling to the Sky, Tower Heist, and The Big C
- Played the role of Becky Williams on the TV series Empire from 2015-2020
- Published a memoir in 2017 titled This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare
- Hosts a confidence-themed podcast called Love Gabby since 2021
- Will be starring in the upcoming Showtime series Three Women based on the bestselling book
Income and Net Worth
- As a successful Hollywood actress, Sidibe commands up to $2 million per movie project
- Has an estimated net worth of $6 million
- Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1983 and grew up in Harlem
- Graduated from Mercy College with a degree in Cultural Studies
- Lives in Los Angeles currently
- Remains very private about her personal relationships and dating life
Family and Relationships
- Parents are Alice Tan Ridley (a singer) and Ibnou Sidibe (a cab driver)
- Has two older half-brothers named Ahmed and Omar
- Her boyfriend Brandon Frankel proposed to her in November 2020 after a year of dating
- She keeps details about her fiancé private but shares they met on a dating app
- No children yet but has expressed wanting to be a mother someday
Sidibe has succeeded in many areas of life by boldly pursuing her dreams. She serves as an inspiration by always embracing her true self and promoting radical self-love. Fans continue to root for her flourishing career, relationships, health journey, and outspoken advocacy.
How much weight has Gabourey Sidibe lost?
Since undergoing bariatric surgery in 2017, Sidibe has lost an estimated 70-80 pounds through continued healthy eating and exercise. Her total weight loss journey is still ongoing.
What diet does Gabourey Sidibe follow?
Sidibe follows a nutrient-dense diet focused on lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats, and limiting processed carbohydrates, sugars, and refined foods. Portion control is also key.
What is Gabourey Sidibe’s workout routine?
Sidibe stays active by walking daily, aiming for at least 30 minutes per day. She also incorporates strength training 2-3 times a week using weights, resistance bands, or her own body weight.
Did Gabourey Sidibe have surgery to lose weight?
Yes, in 2017 Sidibe underwent laparoscopic bariatric surgery to reduce the size of her stomach and help kickstart her weight loss. However, she has emphasized that the surgery alone did not make her lose weight, it required major lifestyle changes as well.
How did Gabourey Sidibe lose so much weight?
It was a combination of bariatric surgery, implementing a nutritious diet focused on lean proteins and vegetables, staying consistent with cardio exercise like walking, and making other lifestyle adjustments to support her health and wellness.
Gabourey Sidibe’s inspiring weight loss journey required resilience and commitment to transform not just her body, but her outlook on confidence and self-love.
Though Gabourey Sidibe lost a substantial amount of weight through bariatric surgery and lifestyle changes, her core message remains about radical self-acceptance.
Gabourey Sidibe’s vulnerability in opening up about her weight loss journey helps empower others struggling with body image and self-confidence.
While proud of her transformation, Gabourey Sidibe cautions against glorifying weight loss too much and reminds us that true happiness comes from within.
Hey there! I’m Aaliya – a health and wellness content writer who loves helping people live their best lives. After getting my MBA, I combined my business skills and passion for writing to specialize in creating engaging, informative content about all things wellness. For over 5 years, I’ve been writing blogs, eBooks, social posts and more to make complex health topics fun and easy to understand.